Last fall the CSUEU Board of Directors approved the hiring of a communications specialist. The job has been posted in multiple locations. Here's a copy of the position announcement:
SENIOR COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST
The CSUEU, SEIU Local 2579, an affiliate of California State Employees Association (CSEA), is the exclusive representative for 16,000 employees in the California State University System (CSU). CSUEU represents a diverse workforce, including more than 200 classifications working in administrative, health care, technical, and facilities support positions. The CSU includes 23 campuses, from Humboldt to San Diego, and the Chancellor's Office.
- under the direction of the Chief of Staff of CSUEU, incumbent will be responsible for developing and implementing internal and external communication plans in support of CSUEU collective bargaining, organizing, policy and political campaigns
- developing internal communications that inform, persuade and mobilize CSUEU members.
- Building positive, productive and cooperative relationships with elected CSUEU leaders and members, and other labor organizations
- Writes, edits and designs regular leaflets and newsletters on important worksite issues.
- Provides campaign communications support.
- Works with staff to provide campaign support including messaging, communications plans, timely materials, website copy, etc.
- Contributes to website, special projects and other communications needs.
- Helps produce brochures, member materials, posters and other materials or communications needs.
Education: Graduation from a 4-year university
Experience: Four (4) years of experience in a relevant field of communications or two (2) years of experience as a CSEA Communications Specialist.
- Demonstrated record of planning and implementing integrated internal and external communications strategies.
- Excellent written and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of and experience in media relations.
- Experience in union and/or political communications.
- Experience as a member of the working press or in a public affairs agency.
- Deep-rooted commitment to fairness and justice for working people.
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative, multi-player environment and to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience in a higher education environment
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends on occasion.
- Resident of Sacramento area is preferred, but not required.
$4914-6584, based on experience
Exceptional Benefits Package, pursuant to negotiated agreement with staff union.
Cover letter and resume should be sent to:
CSEA HR Director
1108 "O" Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 326-4215 (fax)
CSUEU is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability. CSUEU works to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforces zero tolerance policies against discrimination and sexual harassment.
Senior Communications Specialist posting on California Labor Federation site [PDF]